January 14, 2010

Update: All Things Christmas Break

GINGERBREAD HOUSE
Who doesn't love making gingerbread houses? This year I made one with Bushka, my brother and my sister. It was fun and we got pretty creative. Garrett, who was in charge of the backyard, constructed dog poop out of rootbeer bottle-caps and deer droppings out of nerds. So, I made a dog out of various candies in the front yard. We completed our house with an ice skating rink made of aluminum foil and I wanted to make a pretzel man to skate on it. I attempted to make one but he just wouldn't stay together so he was made into a pretzel ice-skating man that crashed into the side =] He was my favorite. 



SLEDDING, SKATING & SNOWBOARDING

So instead of going to Jackson Hole over New Year's weekend my family stayed home and made our own resort in a sense. My sister had never been sledding, skating or skiing so those where the activities decided upon for the weekend, even thought my poor mom couldn't participate in any of them because she was still recovering from surgery. First came sledding. My dad, sister and I went to a city park and went down some pretty large hills. It was pretty hilarious, especially watching my dad eat snow on the way down! My mom was even allowed to go down the bunny hill once, it was pretty funny to watch her face. 

Ice skating was pretty fun, this time my brother decided to join the family. My sister held on to the wall for the first part but she caught on pretty quickly and was skating on her own in no time. I only biffed it once, because I tripped over a chunk of ice, not cool. But it was fun nonetheless. 

Snowboarding, now that was a different story. I never left the bunny hill, which is a slight decline. I was eating snow every 3 seconds it seemed like. My knees are still bruised because I landed hard on them so many times. I just don't think I'm coordinated enough to snowboard. My brother tried teaching me but snowboarding just goes against your better judgement on balance and movement. It was fun though and I'm glad I at least tried it. 

1 comment:

Jen said...

good for you. I love gingerbread houses! I haven't tried snowboarding for that exact reason... I just want to live and not kill myself.